If you have been convicted of a criminal offense in Pennsylvania – whether a misdemeanor or felony – you likely have a number of reasons to seek an expungement of your criminal record even if you have already fully paid any criminal penalties and served any applicable prison time. Long after you have paid your debt to society in the form of a fine, sentence, and/or probation, the creeping aftereffects of a criminal conviction can nevertheless haunt you. Current and potential employers may look into your criminal background, affecting your employment status and potential promotions, and even neighbors and those in your personal life might want to find out more about your past than you would care to have them know. Fortunately, Pennsylvania law does allow for people convicted of crimes in the past to seek expungement of those crimes to clear up their past and protect their reputation, and an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you obtain that expungement.
Who is Eligible for Expungement in PA
There are a number of persons who are eligible to obtain an expungement of a past conviction or criminal charges brought against them, including:
- Where no disposition has been made in a criminal case at least 18 months after arrest
- Where a person was convicted of underage drinking between the ages of 18 and 20
- Where a person has reached the age of 70 and has not been arrested or prosecuted in the past 10 years
- Where a person has been dead for three years
- Where a person petitions the court for the expungement of a summary offense and has been free of arrest or prosecution for five years following the conviction for that offense
An experienced expungement attorney can review your criminal record with you to determine whether you are eligible to seek expungement and counsel you on obtaining expungement of your criminal record.
Work With Experienced Expungement Counsel in Pennsylvania
At The Martin Law Firm, P.C., in Montgomery County, we are committed to defending your rights and protecting your future. Call us today for a free consultation with a PA criminal defense attorney today regarding your options for expungement of a past criminal record.